Magalhães is an award-winning choreographer, recipient of the LA Weekly Theater Award for Best Choreography, and a seasoned performer who has toured the U.S., Cuba, Brazil, South Africa and Botswana. Magalhães is available for choreography opportunities and touring of current works - click here for booking.
<< current works >>
Cor Da pele
A dance theater piece exposing the racist paradoxes between Brazilian and US culture. Commissioned by Viver Brasil dance company for their 20th Anniversary celebration, set to premiere at the Ford Amphitheater in September 2017. Work-In-Progress shown at Dance Mission Theater's annual D.I.R.T. (Dancing in Revolting Times) Festival in San Francisco April 2017.
video coming soon...
A movement and music landscape of dualities: earth and air, memory and discovery, divinity and flesh. Following the calling of ancestors, the characters in the film find grounding and release, the keys to unlocking their fullest selves. Dance film directed by Marina Magalhães, music by Sheila Govindarajan. P.D. Peter Gould, A.D. Sophia Stoller. To be publicly released Fall 2017.
Official Film Festival Selections:
- 4th Annual N.C. Triad Choreography Showcase: An Evening of Dance on Film (April 2017)
video coming Fall 2017
<< PAST WORKS >>
"(UN)BRIDALED" is a critically acclaimed, evening-length dance theater experience created by Marina Magalhães and the all-female cast. This multi-media, interactive show brings to life the deeply moving and hilariously defiant stories of women at the precipice of change. Made possible by Pennington Dance Space Grant & UCLA Hothouse Residency, adapted for Wits University artist residency in 2016.
- Las Cafeteras Live Show, Valley Performing Arts Center - Northridge, CA (2016)
- Las Cafeteras Live Show, Bowery Ballroom - New York City, New York (2016)
- Human Rights & Social Justice Season, Wits Theatre - Johannesburg, South Africa (2016)
- Las Cafeteras Live Show, El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, CA (2015)
- Yerba Buena Night - San Francisco, CA (2015)
- CounterPulse Theater - San Francisco, CA (2015)
- Market St. Prototyping Festival - San Francisco, CA (2015)
Choreographed by Maria Bauman & performed by Marina Magalhães, "Limbs" is an 11-minute solo, a spoken and danced piece based on large scale, majestic trees…the physicality of the lines, and the philosophical questions of beauty and history surrounding those trees. Spoken in Portuguese and English, with an elegant set piece by Julio Sims, Limbs is still in its development stages.
- Maitisong Theatre Festival - Gaborone, Botswana (2016)
- My Body My Space Festival - Mpumalanga, South Africa (2016)
- Highways Performance Space - Santa Monica (2015)
An evening-length, multi-genre dance work co-created by Soul Lab Dance Project, featuring five young women on the brink of.... something great. Featured in LA Weekly's Top 5 Dance Shows To See in LA This Week, debuted at Bootleg Theater in July 2013.
crônicas of power (2010-2012)
A series of dance theater vignettes that give voice to misrepresented Latin@ characters in the uncomfortable, contradictory and at times hilarious places of power struggles. Made possible by UCLA Department of World Arts & Cultures, REDCAT Studio and CONTRA-TIEMPO Urban Latin Dance Theater. Performed at REDCAT Theater, Zipper Concert Hall, Highways's Latin@ New Works Festival, and Live Arts LA, currently a part of CONTRA-TIEMPO's touring repertoire.