- B.A., World Arts & Cultures (Dance Concentration) & Minor in Women's Studies, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) - 2010
- Yoga Teacher Training RYT 200 hr Certification, Cloud Nine Yoga Studio & School - 2013
- Consciousness of Movement Program Certification in Dance, Angel Vianna College - 2009
Grants & Awards
- Pennington Dance Group Space Grant @ ARC - 2014
- NextGen Arts Grants Award, Center for Cultural Innovation - 2014
- Best Choreography, LA Weekly Theater Awards - 2013
- Arts Organization/School Site Grant, Flourish Foundation - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Fellowship, Urban Bush Women Summer Leadership Institute- 2011
- Moss Scholarship, UCLA School of Arts and Architecture- 2006-2010
- Viver Brasil Dance Company. Los Angeles, CA. Jan - Sep 2017
- California State University Los Angeles. Los Angeles, CA. Sep - Nov 2016
- University of Witswatersrand, Drama For Life program. Johannesburg, South Africa. Feb - May 2016
- UCLA Hothouse Residency. Los Angeles, CA. Aug 2014
- Ramon Cortines Dance Company. Los Angeles, CA. Feb - May 2014
- CONTRA-TIEMPO Urban Latin Dance Theater. Los Angeles, CA. Jun - Dec 2010
PERFORMANCE Experience (abbreviated)
DANCE CONCERT PERFORMANCES
- "Parting Words" (15:00) by Joya Powell. Gibney Dance Center (New York, NY) - 2016
- "Olympic Carnaval" (13:00) by Vera Passos & Viver Brasil. Hollywood Bowl (Los Angeles, CA) - 2016
- "Limbs" (11:00) by Maria Bauman. Maitisong Festival (Gaborone, Botswana) - 2016
- "Limbs" (11:00) by Maria Bauman. My Body My Space Festival (Mpumalanga, South Africa) - 2016
- "Limbs" (11:00) by Maria Bauman. MBDance, Highways Performance Space (Santa Monica, CA) - 2015
- "Peace Transcends" (50:00) by Vera Passos. Viver Brasil & World Fest. of Sacred Music, Aratani Theater (Los Angeles, CA) - 2015
- "Viva Navidad" (12:00) by Vera Passos & Viver Brasil. Commissioned by Disney, performed at Disneyland (Anaheim, CA) - 2015
- "Full Still Hungry" (1:30:00) by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. Modlin Center for the Arts (Richmond, VA) - 2013
- "Full Still Hungry" (1:30:00) by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. UCLA Design for Sharing, Royce Hall (Los Angeles, CA) - 2012
- "I Dream America" (1:30:00) by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. Myrna Loy Center for the Performing Arts (Helena, MT) - 2012
- "I Dream America" (1:30:00) by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. ASU Gammage (Tempe, AZ) - 2012
- "I Dream America" (1:30:00) by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. Ordway Performing Arts Center (St. Paul, MA) - 2011
- "Smallest Gesture, Grandest Frame" (15:00) by Vic Marks. CalArts Commuter Fest. at Sharon Disney Lund Theater (Valencia, CA) - 2011
- "Nocturne" (15:00) by Victoria Marks. REDCAT A.W.A.R.D. Show, REDCAT Walt Disney Hall (Los Angeles, CA) - 2011
- "I Dream America" (1:30:00), choreographed by Ana Maria Alvarez & CONTRA-TIEMPO. Teatro Favorito (La Havana, Cuba) - 2009
- “What Does Music Look Like?” by Buzzfeed. 1 million + YouTube views- 2014
- "Kill A Hipster" by Watsky ft. Chinaka Hodge. 1 million + YouTube views - 2013
- "Don't Text Me" by Adam Stern. 2 thousand + YouTube views - 2012
- "Sanctuary" by Kingsley Irons. Moving Bodies Film Festival - 2011
TEACHING EXPERIENCE (ABBREVIATED)
- University of California Riverside (UCR), Department of Dance (April 2017 - now)
- Lecturer: DANCE75A & 75B "Latin American Social Dances" (Beg & Int)
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Department of World Arts & Cultures & Travel Study Program (May 2015 - now)
- Adjunct Lecturer: WAC 120 "Arts & Culture of Brazil"
- Duke University, Dance Department (Nov 2016)
- Guest Artist: Embodied Connection & Reflection; Decolonize the Body Through Dance
- California State University Los Angeles, Dance Department (Oct - Nov 2016)
- Guest Artist: Em/Bodied Dance Festival
- University of Witswatersrand, Drama For Life programme (Feb - May 2016)
- Artist in Residence, Human Rights & Social Justice season: "Embodied Connection & Reflection"
- People's Yoga (Mar 2014 - now)
- Yoga & Dance Instructor
- Curriculum Writer: Introduction to Yoga for High School Programs
- Faculty for Yoga Teacher 200 hr Training: "Yoga & Social Justice" & "Yoga for Teens" curriculum
- California State Polytechnic University (Cal Poly), Department of Theatre & New Dance (Sep - Dec 2015)
- Adjunct Lecturer: "Modern Dance with Latin Influence"
- Coalition for Engaged Education (Nov 2014 - Jul 2015)
- Teaching Artist in Residence & Dance Theater Director for Opportunity Program
- Curriculum Writer & Summer Dance Director for C-Youth & C-Hope programs
- Arts Education Exchange Collective (Aug 2014 - Aug 2015)
- Teaching Artist & Curriculum Writer for US/Cuba Professional Development Exchange
- CONTRA-TIEMPO Urban Latin Dance Theater (Jan 2010 - Dec 2013)
- Teaching Artist for local residencies & tours
- Director of Arts Education
- Founder & Director of CONTRA-TIEMPO Futuro Summer Intensive
Cor Da Pele
A dance theater piece exposing the racist paradoxes between Brazilian and US cultures. Commissioned by Viver Brasil dance company for their 20th Anniversary celebration to be premiered at the Ford Amphitheater in September 2017.
A music and movement landscape of dualities: earth and air, memory and discovery, divinity and flesh. Following the calling of ancestors, the characters in the film find grounding and release, the keys to unlocking their fullest selves. Music by Sheila Govindarajan, D.P. Peter Gould, A.D. Sophia Stoller. Released Jan 2017.
A critically acclaimed, evening-length dance theater experience that brings to life the deeply moving and hilariously defiant stories of women at the precipice of change. Supported by PDG’s Space Grant & UCLA Hothouse. Adapted for Wits Theatre's Human Rights & Social Justice Season 2016 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
“... the type of show that keeps concert dance relevant in our lives." - LA Dance Review
"Riveting... a physical and emotional feat." - Creative Feel Magazine
"These are artists to be reckoned with and (un)bridaled is an unrivaled dance theatre experience." - Theater Ghost
"(un)bridaled was powerful... [a] fresh, new and forward-thinking choreographic vision." - Spot LA
- Human Rights & Social Justice Season, The Wits Theatre - Johannesburg, South Africa. May 2016 - Nosotros Fest, Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY. Nov 2016 - El Rey Theater- Los Angeles, CA. Dec 2015 - Yerba Buena Night- San Francisco, CA. Oct 2015 - CounterPulse Theater- San Francisco, CA. Jun 2015 - Market St. Prototyping Festival- San Francisco, CA. Apr 2015
An 11-minute solo created by MBDance’s Maria Bauman for Marina Magalhães. Limbs explores the physicality of large scale, majestic trees and the philosophical questions of beauty and history surrounding them. Set design by Julio Sims.
“It is Magalhães’s elegant form flowing up against, into, and at last through limits that makes us feel triumph … ” - Theatre Ghost
- Maitisong Festival- Gaborone, Botswana. Apr 2016 - My Body My Space Festival- Mpumalanga, South Africa. Mar 2016 - Highways Performance Space- Los Angeles, CA. Aug 2015
HEADS & TAILS
A duet co-created by Marina Magalhães & Allison Gray that explores urban and contemporary dances by way of physical principles- heads & tails. Commissioned by Latina Dance Theater Co., premiered at Blaktina 2 Fest at Bootleg Theater in Aug 2014.
NOW, LET US SHIFT
An all-female dance piece inspired by feminist Chicana scholar-activist, Gloria Anzaldua’s, famous literary work “Now, Let Us Shift”. Created in residence with Ramon Cortines Dance Company, presented at their Spring Dance Concert at Grand Arts Theater in May 2014.
An evening-length, multi-genre dance work co-created by Soul Lab Dance Project featuring five young women at the brink of... something great. Featured in LA Weekly's Top 5 Dance Shows, debuted at Bootleg Theater in Jul 2013.
Crônicas of Power
A series of dance theater vignettes that give voice to misrepresented Latin@ characters in the uncomfortable, contradictory and at times hilarious places of power struggles. Made possible by UCLA Department of World Arts & Cultures and REDCAT Theater's Studio program. Debuted at UCLA Gloria Kaufman Hall in May 2010, currently part of CONTRA-TIEMPO’s touring repertoire.
- Latin@ New Works “4 by 4” & “Working Titles” Festivals at Highways- Santa Monica, CA. Jun & Sep 2011 - Enlightened Theater's "Imagine A Woman" Festival at LA Live Arts- Los Angeles, CA. Aug 2011 - CONTRA-TIEMPO & Vox Femina present "Nuestras Voces" at Zipper Concert Hall- Los Angeles, CA. Mar 2011 - CONTRA-TIEMPO at REDCAT Theater's Studio Show- Los Angeles, CA. Nov 2010
This Is It: Urgent Conversations
A site-specific, mutli-media dance theater piece exploring what it means to live usefully and fully in uncertain times. Commissioned by the Fowler Museum at UCLA, presented at the Fowler Out Loud performance & engagement series in March 2009.
THEATER COMMISSIONS- PLAYS, MUSICALS & STREET THEATER
- Welcome to Bruin Life (play) directed by Elisabeth Nails for UCLA Class of 2020. Pauley Pavilion- Los Angeles, CA. 2016.
- Image Theater Intervention (installation) directed by Bobby Gordon for AIDS Walk NYC. Centra Park- New York, NY. 2013.
- Patty: The Revival (80 mins) directed Patrick Kennelly. Highways Performance Space- Santa Monica, CA. 2012.
FILM COMMISSIONS- MUSIC VIDEOS, COMMERCIALS & FEATURE FILMS
- Excess Flesh (feature film) directed by Patrick Kennelly. South by Southwest Festival 2014.
- What Does Music Look Like? (commercial) directed by Kayvan Ghavim for Buzzfeed 2014. 1 million + YouTube views.
- Moral of the Story... (music video) song by Watsky for Cardboard Castles album 2012. 5 million + YouTube views.
- Urban Bush Women Apprenticeship: New York, NY - 2016
- Vuyani Dance Theatre Apprenticeship: Johannesburg, South Africa - 2016
- FUNCEB School of Dance: Salvador, Brazil - 2015
- Theater of the Oppressed International Exchange: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil- 2012 & 2015
- Director’s Lab West: Los Angeles, CA - 2014
- Movement Research MELT Intensive: New York, NY - 2014
- Association of Performing Arts Presenters (APAP) Emerging Leaders Institute: New York, NY - 2014
- Urban Bush Women Summer Leadership Institute: Brooklyn, NY & New Orleans, LA- 2013, 2011, 2008
- Cutumba Folclórico Dance Exchange: La Havana & Santiago, Cuba - 2008, 2009
- Alvin Ailey Dance Theater Summer Intensive: New York, NY - 2005
- Modern/Contemporary: 13 years. Teachers: Gregory Maqoma, Maria Gillespie, Cheng-Chieh Yu, Maria Bauman, Jawole Zollar
- Dance Composition: 9 years. Teachers: Victoria Marks, David Rousseve, Susan Foster, Ishmael Houston-Jones
- Hip Hop/House: 8 years. Teachers: Jackie Lopez & Leigh Fooad (Versa-Style), Rennie Harris, D. Sabela Grimes
- Afro-Cuban/Caribbean & Salsa: 8 years. Teachers: Ana Maria Alvarez (CONTRA-TIEMPO), Kimberly Mullen, Cutumba Folclórico
- Afro-Brazilian & Samba: 5 years. Teachers: Rosangela Silvestre, Vera Passos, Paco Gomes, Zé Ricardo, Viver Brasil dance co.
- West African: 3 years. Teachers: Wilfried Souly, Olivier Tarpaga, Michel Koukakou
- Capoeira Angola: 3 years. Teachers: Mestre Valmir (FICA Bahia), Mestre Marrom (Ass. de Capoeira Angola)
- Ballet: 12 years. Teachers: Janet Panetta (ABT), Peter O’Brien (Alvin Ailey)
- Trilingual: fluent in English, Spanish, and Portuguese (writing, reading, speaking).
- Experience working and living internationally (Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, Japan, Cuba, South Africa, Botswana).
- Proficient in Word, Excel, MindBody, Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, Garageband.
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo.
LINDA YUDIN Viver Brasil, Co-Founding Artistic Director p: 323-876-4573 | email@example.com
ANA MARIA ALVAREZ CONTRA-TIEMPO, Founding Artistic Director p: 310-980-5085 | firstname.lastname@example.org
VICTORIA MARKS Choreographer, Professor & Vice Chair, UCLA World Arts & Cultures/Dance Chair, UCLA Disabilities Minor p: 310-206-9227 | email@example.com
AMY SHIMSHON-SANTO, PH.D. Founder, CREO Worldwide Adjunct Professor, Claremont Graduate University p: 310-413-489 | firstname.lastname@example.org